ECHO is committed to the Earth simply because we adore the outdoors and are dedicated to its preservation. We take people down two spectacular rivers, both of which were included in the initial Wild and Scenic River Act in 1968. So naturally (pun intended) we hope to enjoy the beautiful forested wilderness and remote river canyons for many years to come.
Toward this end, we are always working to reduce our carbon footprint, eliminate waste, and reduce our use of paper products both on our trips and in our office. Our guides also adhere to "Leave No Trace" camping guidelines and pack out all of the waste generated by our trips.
What We Do On a Regular Basis
- Use email, web pages, and PDF's for invoices, correspondence, and evaluations.
- We won't send you anything by mail unless you ask for it.
- When we use paper it is 100% recycled or reused paper.
- Comprehensive recycling programs in our office, guide houses, and river trips.
- Continually reduce the amount of waste on our trips.
- Improve energy efficiency in our office, guide houses, and transportation.
- Grow as much of our own food as possible.
- Our state of the art online registration eliminates both paper & mail delivery.
- All in-house meetings are via Skype. We don't travel for business meetings.
- Our office is in downtown Hood River so employees can walk or ride bikes to work.
- Our bank, post office, accountant, prtinter, graphic designer, and shirt printer are all within a 5 minute walk of our office.
- Promotional materials are available as downloadable PDF to save paper and mail.
- When we do print, promotional materials (brochures) are on 100% recycled paper manufactured with 100% wind energy.
- Bought two diesel trucks for our operations which are much more fuel efficient and can use biodiesel when it's available.